Us Greece Social Security Agreement

Workers who have shared their careers between the United States and a foreign country may not be entitled to pensions, survivor benefits or disability insurance (pensions) from one or both countries because they have not worked long or recently enough to meet minimum conditions. Under an agreement, these workers may benefit from partially U.S. or foreign benefits on the basis of combined or “totalized” coverage credits from both countries. Applications should include the name and address of the employer in the United States and the other country, the full name, place and date of birth of the worker, nationality, U.S. and foreign Social Security numbers, location and date of employment, and the start and end date of the assignment abroad. (If the employee works for a foreign subsidiary of the U.S. company, the application should also indicate whether U.S. Social Security Insurance has been agreed upon for employees of the related company pursuant to Section 3121 (l) of the internal income code.) Self-employed workers should indicate their country of residence and the nature of their self-employment. When applying for certificates as part of the agreement with France, the employer (or non-employee) must also certify that the worker and all accompanying family members are covered by health insurance. According to the agreement, when you work as a worker in the United States, you are generally covered by the United States, and you and your employer pay social security taxes only in the United States.

When you work as a worker in Greece, you are usually covered by Greece and you and your employer pay social security taxes only to Greece. Normally, people who are not U.S. citizens can receive U.S. Social Security benefits when they are outside the U.S., only if they meet certain requirements. However, depending on the agreement, you can receive benefits as long as you reside in Greece, regardless of your nationality. If you are not a Greek citizen of the United States and you live in another country, you may not be able to receive benefits. The restrictions on U.S. services are explained in the social brochure Security – Your Payments While You Are Outside The United States (publication No. 05-10137). Note In addition to pension, survival and disability benefits, social security contributions in Greece cover several other programmes, including health and maternity benefits, unemployment and work allowances and family allowances. As a result, workers exempted from Greek social security by the agreement do not pay social security contributions for these programmes and generally cannot receive benefits from them. If the agreement frees you from Greek coverage, you and your employer can agree to further benefit protection in Serden.

For more information about Medicare, visit the website: or or Prior to the agreement, workers, employers and the self-employed may, in certain circumstances, be required to pay social security contributions in the United States and Greece for the same work. In cases where there is no totalization agreement between the two countries, additional costs may be incurred by the employer.

Posted in Uncategorized